Greening Market Systems Development
BEAM Grab the Mic webinar
Date: 9th December 2021
Isaac Cowan-Gore, Junior Technical Officer, SME Unit, ILO
Gramos Osmani, Intervention Manager for Agri-Business, RisiAlbania
Sara Pauli, Project Manager, Ecovecindarios/Markets 4 Recycling
Clara Garcia Parra, Independent consultant (previously PSD Team Leader, RisiAlbania)
This webinar looked at the potential for programmes using the market systems approach to be designed to incorporate environmental concerns such as climate change, biodiversity and natural resource depletion.
Drawing on a recent ILO guide, the webinar explored how greening MSD is compatible with the promotion of decent work and poverty reduction more broadly - for example by supporting the adoption of environment-friendly energy sources and materials, reducing pollution and waste, and protecting biodiversity.
Two case studies were presented:
- RisiAlbania succeeded in conserving the biodiversity of aromatic and medicinal herbs in Albania whilst still supplying the EU and US markets.
- Markets 4 Recycling from Bolivia is developing transport sector waste markets by supporting the ecosystem of green businesses, as well as developing policies and raising awareness
Watch the webinar
- Market systems development and the environment: a strategic and operational guidance note (ILO, Isaac Cowen-Gore)
- Roel Hakemulder’s blog: Earth calling: market systems are embedded in nature – do join the conversation at the end of the page!
- Markets 4 Recycling programme profile
- RisiAlbania programme profile and The business case to expand into commercial cultivation of MAPS