Guidance for teaching this competency
Ask team members to share personal stories of difficult or challenging interactions they are having with market actors. Share tactics or approaches related to developing trust and shared understanding.
- General advice on facilitated discussion
Scenarios & role plays
Exercises that give different people roles, instructions and constraints which ultimately develop empathy across the group. For example The Last Straw board game and The City Game group role play.
- General advice on scenarios and role plays
Workshops where practitioners debate and compromise on issues where there is disagreement. Structured reflection that allows practitioners to internalise and feel comfortable with compromise.
- General advice on field practice methods
Coaching & mentoring advice
- Prompt practitioners to debrief ongoing field work in relation to a market actor - discussing with staff possible similarities and differences in world views and how that may influence interactions or partnerships.
- Take time in team meetings to check-in on people’s personal lives beyond the day-to-day work. Use this as a means to building greater empathy for where people are coming from and why they are acting the way they are.
- Encourage or deliberately mandate staff with different points of view to work together. Foster a friendly debate culture where staff call each other out on their assumptions and present different perspectives.