Practitioners engage audiences through well-crafted reports and presentations tailored to their motivations and concerns. They write clearly, directly and concisely. They speak with clarity, purpose and ease.
Practitioners with this competency will be knowledgeable about concepts and ideas described and explored in these resources...
Skills and experience
Practitioners with this competency will have acquired qualifications, skills and practical experience that may include:
- presenting content in a participatory way at conferences, forums, and workshops
- writing proposals, contracts and concept notes that have received funding or acceptance
- publishing articles in newspapers, journals or blogs
Guidance for teaching this competency
Provide practitioners with written or video samples of presentations or reports; ask them to critique or revise them. Prompt them to consider the audience, key messages, selection of appropriate visuals and redundant verbiage.
Scenarios & role plays
Get practitioners to deliver short presentations on a pre-defined subject or situation. Debrief and provide specific feedback on how to improve.
Coaching & mentoring advice
- Take time to sit in on presentations that staff give and provide regular feedback. Do the same for reports and proposals.
- Encourage staff to present work to each other, for example at lunch ‘n’ learns. Foster a culture of providing each other with feedback. Help structure the feedback by providing frameworks on what makes good communication.
- Provide planning tools and frameworks for staff to structure their thoughts prior to developing content.
Guidance for assessing this competency
Direct observation of practice
Look for evidence of planning before writing a report or developing a presentation. Observe for clarity, use of appropriate visuals and ability to answer questions about the content. Observe for how audience-specific the practitioner is in their choice of language, tone and messaging.
Recommend a resource
Please tell us about any materials, tools, resources or training providers
who offer relevant courses to build this competency
Submit your entry