Project description / objective
The programme focuses on business development for recycling companies, implementing models that enable their growth and sustainability, as well as strengthening the ecosystem of these companies based on global experiences in the green business sector .
By supporting the recycling and treatment of waste in Bolivia the programme aims to create economic, social and environmental benefits throughout the waste value chain.
This programme builds on the experience of the Ecovecindarios programme (2009 - 2018).
Market systems focus
Waste management & recycling
Green businesses are few in the current entrepreneurial system in Bolivia. This programme focuses on their importance and aims to strengthen the ecosystem through local business support organisations to provide new services or adapt existing ones. It also supports the public sector to generate regulations that ensure proper waste management. Through access to these private or public services, green businesses increase the amount of waste treated, improve the quality of their products and efficiency of their processes and gain access to new markets.
In the first pilot phase the programme will work with following waste materials:
- scrap metal (waste from the transport sector)
The programme targets private waste generators by raising awareness around the handling of special and hazardous waste. It also targets producers and importers by making them aware of their responsibility to manage waste produced by their sector.
[The programme defines green businesses as enterprises that offer products or environmental services, in the areas of recycling, water, energy, urban mobility or other environmental sectors.]
- Generation and implementation of regulations
Focusing mainly on the development of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR), strengthening the implementation of the Regulation for Authorized Operators, as well as the generation of a National Policy for Green Businesses.
- Awareness raising, communication and operational management
Developing awareness-raising strategies together with public and private entities through workshops and exchange of experiences, campaigns, and the use of mass media. To also develop or improve operational management models for the prioritised waste types.
- Business development for green businesses
Supporting the ecosystem for green businesses through local partners such as chambers of industry and commerce, universities, financial institutions, incubators/accelerators, and local and national governments.
Notable results (systemic change, poverty impact)
Results as of December 2020:
● Regulations achieved: one for Extended Producer Responsibility and one for operational management of three types of transport sector waste - tyres, batteries and scrap metal
● 38 companies and institutions separate and deliver their waste to green businesses or collection points.
● 223 vehicle users separate and deliver their waste to green businesses or collection points.
● Seven green businesses recollect and recycle waste from the transport sector
● 276 tons of waste from the transport sector are recycled and 350 tons of CO2eq reduced.
[uploaded July 2021]