A focus on the challenge of scaling, which asks: why aren't more market-based solution models scaling? What barriers do they face? Where market-based solutions have achieved scale, how has this been achieved?
By addressing these questions, the authors hope to help:
- Philanthropic foundations, aid donor agencies and multilateral development institutions, to create greater impact on the problems of global poverty, by directing and modulating their resources most effectively to accelerate market-based solutions to scale.
- Nonprofits and other mission-driven intermediaries working locally with market-based solutions, to enhance their effectiveness and understand them within a wider global context.
- Impact investors, to enhance the way they select and manage investments to deliver desired financial returns and social impact.
- Governments, to understand how their laws, policies and actions can influence the development of market-based solutions, for better or for worse; and
- Companies, both large and small, to improve their chances of success at scaling innovative solutions to benefit the lives of the poor.
A detailed introduction to market systems development, especially useful for individuals with an impact investment background.