Four presentations on Jobs & urban growth from IT services in Occupied Palestinian Territories presented at the DCED-BEAM Nairobi seminar in February 2018 by Arsalan Ali Faheem, Naomi Somerville-Large & Bill Grant (DAI), Ryan Sturgill (Mercy Corps).
1. An overview of the complexities involved in Market Systems Development in the Occupied Palestinian Territories including:
- a struggling economy shackled by absence of sovereignty
- restrictions on movement of goods and labour
- a high population growth
- GDP susceptible to crises and conflict
- high donor dependence
- high unemployment
2. Arab Women’s Enterprise Fund (AWEF)
This programme aims to increase 150,000 women’s incomes and agency in Egypt, Jordan and the Occupied Palestinian Territories. It's focus is on WEE and a market systems approach.
3. Accelerating Gaza’s tech ecosystem (SkyGeeks)
Gaza Sky Geeks (GSG) is the leading co-working space, pre-seed startup accelerator and technology education hub in Gaza. It aims to build an internationally competitive technology ecosystem in Palestine through online freelancing, outsourcing, and tech startups that creates high-salary jobs.
4. Stimulating technology markets to tackle urban unemployment
A DFID-EU Palestinian Market Development Programme (PMDP) testing the market development approach in the Palestinian context. The programme aims to pilot market-based solutions to systemic constraints by introducing innovative business models in:
- IT services