for market systems approachesVisit the evidence map
Feed the Future Mozambique Agricultural Innovations Activity (FTF Inova) seeks to increase equitable, pro-poor agricultural growth by linking private and public actors to create more effective value chains in high-priority sectors.
This value chain analysis was carried out to generate an initial strategy for interventions that would:
- yield short term results
- test critical assumptions about the evolving market system dynamics through direct engagement with market actors
- allow FTF Inova’s team to develop its longer-term strategy and activity design
The research and analysis process was iterative, beginning with a review of the literature related to the eight targeted value chains.
After desk research, the assessment team conducted key stakeholder meetings with
- agro-dealers and input suppliers
- farmer cooperatives in select value chains
- emerging and contract farmers
- commercial farmers
- certified GlobalGAP consultants
- retailers, supermarkets, agro-processors/pack houses and exporters
- key host government staff
- a wide range of development partners supporting the Mozambican agriculture sector including donors, implementing partners, and local Non- Governmental Organisations (NGOs)