To achieve Market Systems Development (MSD) practitioners are encouraged to analyse the incentives and capacities of different market players.
Analysing stakeholder incentives and capacities enables programmes to:
- understand why the system currently operates as it does
- develop a realistic vision for change that will be sustainable and spread to scale
- identify specific partners who could have the incentives and capacity to stimulate that change
- decide what kind of support to offer those partners to catalyse behaviour change
This paper breaks down incentives and capacities and presents a tool – Actor Behaviour Change (ABC) Factors – which links actors’ resources and priorities to the characteristics of a behaviour change that the programme wants to stimulate, and which can be applied to any actor (partners, intermediaries or beneficiaries).
- Blog: Why don't people do what we want them to? By Jake Lomax and Rachel Shah