Here is a quick reference list of the latest resources and blogs which describe the impact of COVID-19 and the responses of MSD Programmes available on the BEAM Exchange
- Survey - Upskilling & reskilling in the new normal - commissioned by RisiAlbania, focusing on COVID-19's impact on the Albanian workforce (Dec. 2020)
- Rapid Industry Survey - Impact of COVID-19 on Workforce Participation and Aspirations
USAID's MSP invites all current, former, and/or aspiring senior leaders on market systems development programmes to fill out the anonymous survey. The survey will be live until May 5, 2021.
- Taking stock - FSD Africa's CEO, Mark Napier, takes stock of their work since COVID-19 hit Kenya 10 months ago (Jan. 2021)
- Development Asia's brief on how the government contained the spread of Covid-19: Managing the COVID-19 outbreak in Timor-Leste (Jan. 2021)
- OECD paper calling for donors to move beyond ‘single point’ product based interventions - Innovation, development and COVID-19: challenges, opportunities and ways forward (Dec. 2020)
- BEAM / Marketlinks webinar presenting three World Bank case studies: How the private sector is adapting to Covid-19: country-level analysis from the World Bank (Nov. 2020)
- Georgia's ALCP programme assesses COVID-19 effects on the ALCP client businesses (Oct. 2020)
- Katharina Cavano of Palladium on gender inequality and COVID-19: Disproportionately affected by COVID-19; women are the key to economic recovery (Oct 2020)
- Guidance on digital inclusion: Opportunities & imperatives arising from COVID-19 (Aug. 2020) offers advice for avoiding digital exclusion in the aftermath of COVID. See also Holly Krueger's accompanying blog
- PRISMA programme's Newsletter #6 (July 2020) describes the impact of COVID-19 in Indonesia and how this major MSD programme is responding
- NU-TEC & IAMA programmes presented Adapting MSD programmes in response to COVID-19 (May 2020 webinar) which took a practical look at how three programmes in Uganda are adapting to the challenges of COVID-19.
- Danielle Resnick writes about how COVID-19 lockdowns threaten Africa’s vital informal urban food trade (Apr 2020 blog)
- Julia McDowall & Sapenzie Ojiamo (on CaLP) also highlight Impossible choices – questioning assumptions behind lock-down in low income and fragile contexts (Apr 2020 blog)
- ODI have a project Supporting Economic Transformation (SET) that is monitoring economic and social impacts of COVID-19 in Africa.
- Mercy Corps published a Rapid market impact report (May 2020) with information from 22 countries across Asia and the Middle East
- Innovision have been continuing to study the impact of COVID-19 on low-income groups in Bangladesh. See also their COVID-19 sectoral heat map
- Markets in Crisis is periodically updating a list of key guidance, assessments and other COVID-19-related resources to help understand and support markets during the COVID-19 pandemic. See also their useful Statement on COVID-19 (Apr. 2020) and their blog What does market-based programming look like in the age of COVID-19? with key takeaways from their online discussion series (Sept. 2020)
- Ecorys and Nathan Associates provide analysis of economic fallout in their Roadmap to post-COVID recovery for Nepal’s agri and tourism SMEs (August 2020)
Check out our Conversations Board where the Markets in Crises D-group and others have been busy discussing the response to COVID-19.
We will be adding to these - search for 'COVID-19' to find the latest.
COVID-19 and private sector development (PSD) more generally
The DCED collates resources on the impacts of COVID-19 with advice about how donor agencies can adjust their PSD interventions to improve the situation in both the short and medium term. The portal is divided into the following sections:
- Socioeconomic impacts and national responses
- Adjusting PSD interventions in the short term
- Promoting economic recovery and resilience
- Agency knowledge portals, statements and funding activities
Sign up to DCED's COVID-19 Newsletter to receive updates when important new resources are added.