This USAID primer offers guidance and real-world examples on how to strategically engage the private sector in Fragile and Conflict-Affected Situations.
It takes a systems thinking approach and involved consultations with both PSE and humanitarian communities.
Key guidance includes:
- add a ‘third dimension’ - conflict sensitivity - to shared value definitions
- don’t skimp on PSE best practice to do upfront opportunity scoping
- pay extra attention to a firm’s position and incentives
- go beyond financial support to embrace diverse engagement roles (e.g. as convener, actively facilitating systems leadership)
Four types of private sector actors are profiled representing various incentives, risk appetites and decision-making drivers:
- social enterprises
- local private sector
- large footprint companies
- new investors
It also provides real-life examples around engaging these private sector actors to support conflict stabilisation, humanitarian efforts and foster resilience.
MSP and the BEAM Exchange are seeking feedback on MSD tools in the beta library to identify those tools that have the greatest proven utility and impact. We are asking the MSD community to complete a short survey (2 mins) of their top 5-10 tools to provide input into this curation process. Click below to participate!Google form link